sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] A new config_query - results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž ruskie Levstik <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] A new config_query - results
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:56:39 +0100

> How is $VARX used? Do we need to do some `echo $VARX|grep opt1` to see
> if opt1 was set? Or do we just fill opt{1,2,3,...} with ./configure
> flags and add $VARX to $OPTS?

Something like:
case $VAR in $VARX
opt1) blahe
opt2) blahb
etc....

Would be the more obvious choice...

For example for the xorg-server spell
I'll be running it through a for:

for fontspells in XORG_FONTS
do
if [[ $VARX == all ]]
then
HUGE-LIST-OF-FONT-DEPENDS
elif [[ $VARX == none ]]
then
true
else
depends $fontspells
fi

Similar for the input drivers and video drivers...

Basicaly it requires some more work from the guru to make it work
as it should.

As for configure opts this isn't meant for those... We've got
config_query_option for that.

This is meant to reduce -profile spells to a minimum or
atleast make them easier on the user...

I really dislike answering a kazzillion answers y/n and also
this makes it easier to have som depends setup better...

With this function there is a high risk of abuse for stuff that it
isn't meant for i.e. ./configure options so it'll need some extra
policing... Also large lists make it harder to nicely pick out the
things you want. I experimented with a 15s delay and I bearly got
to pick my 4 choices and CONFIRM it before the timeout...

Hope this enligthens... I'll prolly implement this in xorg-server
tomorrow so an example will be available...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461