sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bzr for grimoire work

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bzr for grimoire work
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:22:33 -0800

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:08:33AM +0100, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> Op zo, 19-03-2006 te 10:58 +0200, schreef Juuso Alasuutari:
> > > so what bzr basically requires is a server that accepts emails
> > with
> > > patches to the grimoire, with a bot that processes these patches
> > and
> > > performs the merges on the central repository there.
> >
> > Hmm, this certainly sounds inconvenient. We would have to create
> > diffs and
> > then email them?
>
> basically, yes, that's the principle of distributed systems, but they
> can be more or less automated with push/pull commands.
>
> i've been talking to the bzr channel for a while now, apparently the
> directory access control would be a _huge_ problem too.

Just want to make some clarifications since theres been some
misinformation floating around apparently.

First of all, the bot, aka as patch-queue-manager is not really whats
used in practice. Theres the push command for that. pqm was somewhat
of a thought experiment at best. Not sure why it got listed as "the"
solution. I addressed this a few months ago last time this topic came up.

Second, repository access is typically done with seperate accounts
for each set of stuff, and using sftp. Since distributed scms have no
problem branching between repositories (aka branches in most cases),
thats not really a problem. With svn you'd either need webdav or some
sort of commit hook to accomplish the same.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |