sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Modular X.org

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru)" <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Modular X.org
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:22:36 +0100

Le jeudi 02 mars 2006 à 21:03 +0100, Arwed von Merkatz a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:48:14AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> >
> > How close is the xorg-modular grimoire to being integrated into devel
> > (and then hopefully test ;))?
>
> The spells themselves seem to be coming along nicely. Before it can be
> integrated there's some work left for the really big list of CONFLICTS
> this needs.
> What we really should decide soon is whether to continue supporting
> monolithic X versions or not. The monolithic xorg spell will definitely
> go once the modulars are ready, but there's the xfree* and xdirectfb
> ones.
> Pro:
> - choice, users can choose to use xfree instead of xorg
> Con:
> - will require several providers for the various X libraries that aren't
> strictly requiered by xorg-server as those will eventually become
> optional_depends for various spells. Some of them don't exist in
> xfree, other do exist and thus have to be provided by the modular
> spell and the monolithic ones.
>
> Except for choice I see no reason to continue supporting xfree, and the
> choice part is mostly superfluous too, there's no technical reason to
> choose xfree over xorg, and lots of reasons to choose xorg. I don't
> think that choice is important enough to warrant the work of maintaining
> the monolithic builds (which are a real pain to work with in spells), so
> in my opinion we should drop xfree*.
> xdirectfb is essentially a hardware abstraction dropin for xfree and
> xorg, I just had a quick glance and it might be possible to integrate
> that as an option in the xorg-server spell instead of building it inside
> a monolithic tree.

Just some statistics thanks to ledger :) :

From "live" computers :
xfree86 4.5.0 1 computer
xfree86-libs 4.5.0 2 computers

xorg 6.9.0 19 computers
xorg 6.8.2 7 computers
xorg-server 1.0.1 2 computers

From all computers (142) :
xfree86 4.4.0 2 computers
xfree86 4.5.0 4 computers
xfree86 4.2.1 1 computer
xfree86-libs 4.5.0 8 computers

xorg 6.9.0 24 computers
xorg 6.8.2 83 computers
xorg 6.8.1 8 computers

So we can see a big majority of people use xorg...

Just my 2 cents,
--
Flavien Bridault

Source Mage GNU/Linux