sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire tarball updates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire tarball updates
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:55:37 -0600

On Nov 12, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 01:32:32PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On Nov 12, George Sherwood [pilot AT beernabeer.com] wrote:
> > > Before the server crash we were updating the test tarball every 6 hours
> > > or so automatically. Now that the new server is working are we going to
> >
> > People are working on it, but we're expecting to do it differently. The
> > old system had the signing keys on the server itself, which quite a lot of
> > people were uncomfortable with. There was also just one signing key that
> > was shared. The new one will have each signer having their own keys, and
> > the private keys will only be on their own machines.
> >
> > Arwed is working on setting up his end to do updates automatically since
> > it
> > falls under his area, until he has that I'll continue to update them
> > manually daily. If I get time I'll look at automating my updates, but I'm
> > still doing a lot of work to get the new server to a completed state. The
> > front end is generally done but the backend is not. :-)
>
> Err ... I am? I never said anything about that. Stable and stable-rc
> were never autogenerated and we'll keep it like that. Test tarballs
> should be autogenerated as they were imho.

Well, it was in the PERFORCE change 68915 thread, where I said I'd been
doing all the grimoire updates manually but was asking you or Seth to take
over getting them updated and going normally, and you asked for the
details, and I sent them. I meant all the grimoires, since that's what I'm
currently doing manually. Sorry if it wasn't clear. (And we need those
mails moved to a commits ML... *poke Eric*)

I definitely agree we want the test tarballs automated. I thought the
discussions on IRC* were still around getting them automated from a
developer machine and (eventually) using developer-specific keys. We have
to recreate the scripts anyway, switching the way it's done won't really be
difficult. We just can't switch the keys used til people have sufficient
time to get the new keys into sorcery-pubkeys.

Regardless, test is *not automated* right now. None of the grimoires are.
I'll get my own process automated if I get a chance but I'd really rather
you or Seth take that all over and get it going.

(* And I haven't forgotten the need to get "discussions on IRC" in a more
accessible format, but the server stuff is taking priority until it's
resolved.)