sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:28:24 -0500

I'd like to second this on a condition that 95% of spells in the main grimoire are actually "free" in this sense (otherwise it's probably not worth it). We may also want to move stuff back from z-rejected if it's GPL or similarly licensed, but binary, and create z-binary section.
It's not clear how to set up "detached" z-rejected so that it's still under our control. Can its source reside on the same physical server but under a different host name (vhost)? Alternatively, if we switched to something like monotone or darcs, if I understand correctly there's no need for central repository at all, so the biggest issue with z-rejected may become publishing it, not maintaining. Free or not, many people worked hard to build z-rejected, and it's a valuable asset of SMGL.

Sergey.

Seth Alan Woolley wrote:

P.S. I favor becoming as Free(R)(TM) as possible. I will do what the group desires, but I think it's something we should consider, at least.