sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GVM works :)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GVM works :)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:28:41 +0200

Le mardi 18 octobre 2005 à 10:39 -0700, Eric Sandall a écrit :

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On Oct 18, Flavien Bridault [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Well, at least cdrom, floppy and disk. I thought there were default ?
> >
> > No, as noted, the latest iso does not create the cdrom group.
> >
> >> But maybe they were created by the ISO I used in those old times... ;-)
> >> Otherwise I need to create them in udev spell.
> >
> > You need to at least check for it before using it. We have a bug report
> > in
> > IRC on this failing for one person so far.
>
> Packages should use create_account/create_group for users/groups they
> need to work.

Ok I will do.

> <snip>
> >> No it changes the owner group, the owner is still root, i.e. here on my
> >> box :
> >
> > If we're changing permissions on existing devices it's bad whether it's
> > user or group. People could already have their access set up how they
> > want
> > it using the groups already there. But I'm still not sure if we're
> > talking
> > about changing permissions on existing installs or just defaults for new
> > ones.
>
> It sounds like these changes only change the default
> permissions/ownership, if the user setup their own rules then those
> override the defaults, correct?
> <snip>
Correct. :-)
That's exactly why we switch from a single rules file to a directory of
rules file. Users should have defined their own rules in a file read
*after* 50-default.rules, so something like 90-mysetup.rules, as
explained in /etc/udev/rules.d/README :

"The files which name ends in ".rules" will be read by udev in lexical
order.
Any others will be ignored.
There are some example rules in rules.examples, take a look at those for
an idea of what's possible with udev.

When a rule matches in one file, a different rule in another file will
be
ignored, so be sure to name your own files properly.

Be sure to leave 50-default.rules as it is, so the spell can update it
when needed."

I think that is clear enough ? :-)