sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GVM works :)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GVM works :)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:36:56 +0200

Le lundi 17 octobre 2005 à 17:10 -0500, David Kowis a écrit :

> Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > I didn't see answers to the below, and given that we just got a bug report
> > about hal not casting on a system that didn't have the cdrom group, I
> > wanted to put them forward again.

> >>The latest iso doesn't have a cdrom group by default.
> Do we need a cdrom group on the ISO for this to work?

Well, at least cdrom, floppy and disk. I thought there were default ?
But maybe they were created by the ISO I used in those old times... ;-)
Otherwise I need to create them in udev spell.

> >>Will this affect only new systems or updating existing ones as well?
> >>Modifying the ownership of existing devices doesn't sound wise.
>
> So the spell will change the ownership of certain devices? Thats
> probably not a Good Thing (tm)...
No it changes the owner group, the owner is still root, i.e. here on my
box :

[09:27:36]vlad@Gargamel ~ $ ll /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root burning 3, 0 2005-10-18 10:56 /dev/hda
[09:29:01]vlad@Gargamel ~ $ ll /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 2005-10-18 10:56 /dev/sda

> >>Does this only affect people using udev? Will it do anything to people
> >>using eg static dev?
> I'm not sure what's going on here...

It's a nonsense, udev will obviously doesn't change anything for people
who uses static devices. udevsend is made the hotplug multiplexer in
start_udev() of the devices init script.

All changes are in devel now, and also in test, except for gvm which is
still waiting for the whole gnome 2.12 integration afaik.
Feedback would be welcome. :-)