sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.5-test1 Release!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.5-test1 Release!
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:57:33 +0200

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:49:34 -0500, My Team Lead David Kowis ;-) wrote:

> There's a new test ISO!
>
> This is using the next generation of ISO generation scripts, the new,
> improved installer, and lots of general coolness! The new installer has
> myriad improvements over the old one. The installation process is a
> great deal more solid and has increased potential.
>
> If you've got a spare x86 computer lying around or feel like
> re-installing, try out the ISO. Links for your convenience:
>
> http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/testing/smgl-0.9.5-x86-2.6.13-nptl-test1.iso.bz2
> http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/testing/smgl-0.9.5-x86-2.6.13-nptl-test1.iso.bz2.md5sum
> http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/testing/smgl-0.9.5-x86-2.6.13-nptl-test1.iso.md5sum

Let me emphasize: we *need* testers. I want us to quit having a
more-than-10-month-old ISO as soon as we can. This means we need the test
series ironed out quickly.

Also, we need devel testers. Right now, devel has been quiet for some
days because of test coming out, but soon, there will be devel ISOs
again with all the changes and features planned for the 0.9.6 stable
release. They need testers too.

> There's no PPC test ISO as no one on the Cauldron team has a PPC for
> testing purposes. So, if you've got a PPC lying around that needs Linux
> on it, try out the devel ISO! Or let the cauldron team know that you'd
> want to help test out the ISO's :) Or just test them out and let us know
> with bugs ( http://bugs.sourcemage.org )

Yes. PPC *absolutely* needs testers! I didn't release a -test ISO on ppc
because it seems nobody has tested the devel ones yet. I have no ppc box
here, so I can't test them on a secondary box like I do the x86 ISOs.
I haven't managed to boot our ISO in pearpc yet.
And we do want a ppc 0.9.5, don't we?

So to summarize: We need testers. Lots of testers ;-)
Especially ppc, very much on the -test branch, and if you'd like to
help out active development, you can try out the latest devel ISOs
as soon as they come out again.

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org