sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.5-test1 Release!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.5-test1 Release!
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:47:43 +0200

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:13:00 +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:

> > There's a new test ISO!
> > http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/testing/smgl-0.9.5-x86-2.6.13-nptl-test1.iso.bz2
> >

> Just tried. It works. :-)

Thanks a lot for testing it! We can't quite live or release without testers,
and we all know that the ISO is probably the least-used part of smgl, you
usually only use it once, and for probably 1-2 hours at most. Testers out
there, we need you! ;-)

> Some jotting:

Feedback! We *love* feedback! [snip same story as above]
Just one thing, could you maybe add these suggestions in bugzilla too,
they're much easier to track over there, we can assign priorities,
set milestones when they should be fixed, track if they are fixed yet
or not, the usual story.

If you don't want to file them in bugzilla yourself, that's okay.
I can do it too, it might just be easier if you did it so that
you get mails when we need feedback. Also, that way you'll know when
your suggestions have been implemented :-)

> EDITOR setting shouldn't be in Native Language Support.
> swap is not a filesystem. I would rename to "Format and/or mount
> filesystems and swap".
Good idea. Bug it though, it might be a nice little change for our
new developers to practice procedures on.

> After Alt-F1, Alt-F2 some warning "dircolor: no SHELL variable" and the
> prompt is uselessly very long "root@sourcemage-install:/dev#". Why
> located in /dev/ directory?
I'll have to see about that, I have no idea. This is also a Good Bug (tm)

> sorcery-pubkeys should be required and gpg verification should be enabled.
Yeah, we're planning to do this in 0.9.6

> I missing netconf after installation.
Strange. It ought to be installed by basesystem depending on net-tools
depending on netconf... Will have to investigate, please bug

> "sorcery update" works, only write "cannot remove /tmp/sorcery-restore"
> and prints strange Changelog history (it shouldn't, it is the same version).
> "scribe update" prints very long Changelog history from 2003-08-18.
Those two can probably be pulled into the same bug. Maybe 3 more lines of
code.

> I missing link vi to vim (I choose EDITOR vim).
The trouble is that elvis and vim are both fighting over that link,
current grimoire default is to link it to elvis, iirc. I could hot-fix
this if it is wanted, through. Bug :-)

> netconf and mc should be integrated from test grimoire. Generally
> stable-rc is quite stale. ;-(
Ah, can't really do much about that... I don't quite want to make
ISOs off the test grimoire yet. Maybe someday the -devel ISOs will
have test grimoire on them, but that'll have to wait until our chroot
updating has ripened.

> "cast mc" didn't work due to autoconf (I didn't run sorcery rebuild). I
> had to "cast -c autoconf".
Bug? Details? :-)

> I would ged rid of iso version from /etc/issue (after installation).
Yeah, it's an idea. Bug with suggestion what should be there instead? :-)

Generally, thanks a lot for the feedback! I hope I haven't been too
annoying asking for bugs, and that I could clarify the hard-to-fix bugs
a bit.

Please don't be disappointed if some of the bugs will be milestoned
0.9.6, I want the 0.9.5 tree to be touched as little as possible
right now, so that we can speedily release 1.0. Right now, I sometimes
just think "is fixing this bug worth keeping 0.9.3 out another day?"

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org