sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4 and OpenSSL 0.9.8 in test?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4 and OpenSSL 0.9.8 in test?
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:58:35 -0400

Quoting Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:

The biggest problem here is to actually identify the broken programs.
They can then be fixed by using gcc34 or in some cases by removing
several optimization options. Such brokenness can be really subtle, e.g.
for libebml 64bit integer reads and writes return a wrong value if the
library is compiled with any optimization setting higher than -01.
Segfaulting stuff is a lot easier to find than that ;)

Right. So are the ones you know of fixed?

The biggest thing by far is the glibc. I understand using gcc34 doesn't
help. Is
there anything I can do, or help you or anyone who's looking into that,
to make
glibc and gcc 4 coexist in test?

So far my idea was to wait for the next official glibc release, though
that might be unrealistic as they don't like doing releases. Another
solution would be to figure out _why_ it fails to compile even if told
to use gcc34, which is a complete mistery to me.

I'll take a look. Not much to be expected from me doing this, but we'll see.

For now I'll revert the gcc 4.0.x integration.

OK. Sorry about the trouble.

Sergey.