sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] create_account & create_group placement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, disk AT sourcemage.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] create_account & create_group placement
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:37:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, David Brown wrote:
My 2 Cents

1)
A standardized place for this would be nice, one of the sorcery bugs
involves documenting where functions 'should' go, so figuring this out
would be nice.

The standard would have to be in or before BUILD as some packages need
the accounts setup during the compile stage.

2)
Hard Coding of the groups and user system accounts,
Finding this kinda thru me off and took me a bit to figure out.
I was wondering the historical reasons for using this hard coding and
also wondering how many other people have SA added groups/users that
conflict with the hard coded ones.
After a little messing with I found several on my systems:
dmlb2000:
root@dmlb2000:/etc# grep svn group
svn_readers:x:122:svn_committers,dmlb2000
root@dmlb2000:/etc# grep 122 /var/lib/sorcery/codex/stable/groups
clamav:122:

dmlb2002:
dmlb2000@dmlb2002:~$ grep svn /etc/group
svn_readers:x:134:svn_committers
svn_committers:x:135:dmlb2000
dmlb2000@dmlb2002:~$ grep 134 /var/lib/sorcery/codex/stable/groups
ntp:134:
dmlb2000@dmlb2002:~$ grep 135 /var/lib/sorcery/codex/stable/groups
firewire:135:
dmlb2000@dmlb2002:~$ grep ^dmlb2000 /etc/group
dmlb2000:x:104:dmlb2000
dmlb2000@dmlb2002:~$ grep 104 /var/lib/sorcery/codex/stable/groups
junkbust:104:

dmlb2004:
dmlb2000@dmlb2004:~$ grep ^dmlb2000 /etc/group
dmlb2000:x:130:
dmlb2000@dmlb2004:~$ grep 130 /var/lib/sorcery/codex/stable/groups
cyrus:130:

Admin created accounts are supposed to start at 500 (or 1000,
depending on who you listen to) and system accounts (created by
packages and such) stay below 500 (or 1000, ditto).

If packages are installing conflicting IDs then bugs need to be filed
against them.

- -sandalle

- --