sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] create_account & create_group placement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] create_account & create_group placement
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:20:51 -0700

> There is a lot of advantage in keeping the same UID/GIDs between installs
> and through upgrades or even moving a system from one distro to another
> while keeping some files around. In the long term this prevents conflicts
> more than it causes them. Ideally every user would have one UID that could
> follow them forever but barring that, it's good practice to at least have
> the system accounts be standard. Most distros do this to keep it standard
> between installs of their distro and even standard across distros. It's
> somewhat analogous to the role /etc/services plays.

Okay this is fine but it probably should be documented somewhere that
this is one of the standards that sourcemage has, maybe we should
install a filed out group file (ie one with *every* group that could
be added) so that conflicting groups wouldn't be able to be added
unless the SA intentionally deleted on of the standard groups.

- David