sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Differentiated user/developer/lead cloaks

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Differentiated user/developer/lead cloaks
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:29:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
Hi all!
The idea just came up on IRC to do different cloaks for users, developers and
leads, such as "afrayedknot-active-pdpc.lead.sourcemage" or
"ruskie.developer.sourcemage".
The advantage of this would be that channels such as #sourcemage or
#sourcemage-admin would just need autovoice to *.developer.sourcemage
and autoops to *.lead.sourcemage. This would reduce the hassle of
having to ask and bother for ops/voice.
If we want to overdo it, we could of course do ".sorcery.lead.sourcemage"
and such things, but I think that'd be overdoing it, especially considering
that a few devs are in two teams at the same time.
comments?

I like this idea. ;) I'll put together a big ol' list according to
Andrew Levstik's e-mail
(nick.[user|wizard|mage|guru|bot|apprentice|elder].sourcemage).

Though a few points:
user: This would be a bad idea, IMO, since it'd be a lot of requests
to lilo to add/remove people as the come/go (though we do have users
who've been around for a while, those would probably be okay ;))

wizard,mage,apprentice: Not sure how to differentiate these from the
other tags.

guru: These would be the general gurus? If so, then wizard/mage
would probably be section gurus?

Proposed naming:
user: User's who request a cloak and have been around for a 'while'
(say, at least 3 months?)

elder: A Team Lead

wizard: A Sorcery developer

mage: A Grimoire section maintainer

guru: A member of any other team

apprentice: A Grimoire General Guru

bot/golem: self-explanatory (golem would be nicer, IMO, but freenode
may want bot. ;))

I'm not sure if we should distinguish between Sorcery and Grimoire
developers. I'm thinking just mark both as 'wizard', move 'mage' as a
Grimoire General Guru and remove 'apprentice'.

Thoughts?

- -sandalle

- -- Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer