sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] brouwer.uvt.nl server

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] brouwer.uvt.nl server
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:57:05 -0700

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:18:13PM +0200, Andrew ruskie Levstik wrote:
> Eric Sandall wrote :
>
> > Hi all, this e-mail is mostly for the Team Leads, but feel free to chime
> > in if you have input.
> >
> > Joost van Baal has kindly given us access to brouwer.uvt.nl for use as a
> > server (we've only requested it for use as an SCM server). Now, we've
> > had this for over a year, but have hardly used it (a few tries at CVS,
> > P4<->CVS synching, and some Subversion). Joost has said that they're
> > more than happy to install any SCM we'd like to use.
> >
> > My question: Do we want to continue to use brouwer.uvt.nl or should we
> > use sourcemage.org solely?
> >
> > We could set one up as a proxy/slave to the other to spread out the load
> > and cut down downtime in the advent of a server failure.
> >
> > Thoughts?

We could have their site be the primary site and continue to use
sourcemage.org as a higher bw mirror. That way life doesnt completely
hang on one server. Of course, distributed version control somewhat
alleviates the "the <scm> server is down" issue.

> > -sandalle
> >
> > [---=| Overlong signature removed by t-prot: 13 lines snipped |=---]
> >

> Hmmm maybe someone(sorry not me) could try to get a p4<->svn using
> rscm(ruby scm) or something along those lines. Since rscm has p4
> support already it might be usefull...

svn is severly lacking for most of the projects we host, the only reason
we'd use it (IMO) is if we put svk on top of it or just used it for some of
the stuff in //sgl/misc.

Im not sure we really want to start the scm discussion again, theres
simply nothing out there sufficient for our needs or even for two of
our three main projects (grimoire and sorcery).

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |