sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] PR Team Proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] PR Team Proposal
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:10:40 -0700

Quoting "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>:
> On Apr 27, Alex Smith [alex AT alexsmith.org] wrote:
> > I've found, after repeated attempts at learning to program, it'll never be
> > my forte. I've instead decided, to try and devote myself in some way to
> > promoting (and of course evangelising) Sourcemage GNU/Linux.
>
> Several places in your proposal you make mention of 'getting more
> developers' and 'getting more users'. However, you never indicate *why*
> you think we would want more developers or users, it's just a given this is
> what we'd want. Can you say a bit about why you think these are
> necessarily good things? And how important are they? Where should they
> sit in priorities? If getting new users conflicts with other things the
> distro wants, what should happen?

We definately need more developers as we have a few people doing a lot of the
work on some of the teams. The Grimoire Team has the most help, but still has
too many vacancies (e.g. section gurus).

I believe that obtaining more developers would help us out a lot and more
users
means more bug reports (usually) with hope of developing gurus out of them. ;)
I don't see how obtaining new users/developers would ever conflict with what
we
want as it's something we do want. However, getting SMGL ready for a 1.0
release
is our primary goal, all else is secondary at this time.

> Note: I'm not arguing they *aren't* good things. But many distros chase
> after them with just the assumption that's what it's all about, when that
> isn't necessarily the case. Many distros also never consider at the start
> that there are problems and issues introduced by looking for more users or
> developers, and these need to be dealt with in a manner appropriate with
> the greater goals of the distribution.

We're currently not near the point where adding more developers would be
detrimental, but are rather at the other end, IMO.

> If we're going to have an official PR team I'd just like to know where the
> potential team lead would stand on these issues. Thanks.

Always a good thing to know. :)

-sandalle