sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] PR Team Proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] PR Team Proposal
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:45:14 -0500

On Apr 27, Alex Smith [alex AT alexsmith.org] wrote:
> I've found, after repeated attempts at learning to program, it'll never be
> my forte. I've instead decided, to try and devote myself in some way to
> promoting (and of course evangelising) Sourcemage GNU/Linux.

Several places in your proposal you make mention of 'getting more
developers' and 'getting more users'. However, you never indicate *why*
you think we would want more developers or users, it's just a given this is
what we'd want. Can you say a bit about why you think these are
necessarily good things? And how important are they? Where should they
sit in priorities? If getting new users conflicts with other things the
distro wants, what should happen?

Note: I'm not arguing they *aren't* good things. But many distros chase
after them with just the assumption that's what it's all about, when that
isn't necessarily the case. Many distros also never consider at the start
that there are problems and issues introduced by looking for more users or
developers, and these need to be dealt with in a manner appropriate with
the greater goals of the distribution.

If we're going to have an official PR team I'd just like to know where the
potential team lead would stand on these issues. Thanks.