sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Basesystem Cache files on Mirror

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Ondra Tomecka <otom7630 AT lucy.troja.mff.cuni.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Basesystem Cache files on Mirror
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:48:37 -0700

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 06:27:28PM +0200, Ondra Tomecka wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> > Quoting "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>:
> > > Many times, either in the process of helping get smgl users up to pure
> > > 64bit
> > > systems with x86-64 or trying to sort out compile errors with
> > > basesystem, I
> > > have
> > > had to offer my cache files to help fix their machines.
> > >
> > > Many times problems with basesystem can cascade into greater problems
> > > that
> > > cause
> > > the system to be completely unusable. The fact that we allow users to
> > > do
> > > this is
> > > one of the things I love about sourcemage. However, I think we should
> > > offer
> > > a way
> > > for users to get at least their basesystem back from cache files without
> > > having to
> > > either find the cd or download and burn the cd. Also, the cd doesn't
> > > always
> > > come with the latest versions of spells, in some instances this would
> > > force
> > > users to
> > > reinstall the basesystem from the cd just to get something workable (ie
> > > glibc
> > > being out of date on the cd vs. the one they might have installed).
> > >
> > > I would like to see ppc, x86-64, sparc, i386 and i686 cache files on the
> > > mirror.
> > > I suggest both i386 and i686 because of the number of people that have
> > > i686
> > > or
> > > greater machines.
> > >
> > > I will offer my x86-64 basesystem spells for the mirror if they are
> > > needed,
> > > however my other machines compile for pentium[34] so they won't do.
> >
> > I like this idea. We can put the tarballs under
> > http://download.sourcemage.org/cache/<architecture>/ (e.g.
> > http://download.sourcemage.org/cache/i386/). I'd like to request
> > volunteers to
> > build these caches and that all spells for this have all optional
> > dependencies
> > off (so that we have just the bare-minimum needed and don't require
> > people to
> > install extra packages for a quickfix).
> >
> > Luckily Sorcery has this feature called install_root[0] that will allow
> > anyone
> > to do this without having to rebuild their system. :) Just set it up to
> > use
> > /opt/smgl for INSTALL_ROOT and STATE_ROOT and you're set.
> >
> > One problem I due see with this, however, is that we'd have to keep these
> > binaries up-to-date. That may not be fun.
> >
> > Required architectures:
> > x86: i386, i686
> > x86-64: x86-64, x86-32
> > ppc: g3, g4
> >
> > Anyone see problems with that list? We may have to drop i386 and do i486
> [...]

Agreed on both points. I think it's simpler if I just publish what I'll
have worked on with prometheus. This is also an opportunity to test out
resurrection now that it's becoming quite usable.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org