sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Basesystem Cache files on Mirror

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Basesystem Cache files on Mirror
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:14:34 -0700

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:59:24AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
<snip>
> > Required architectures:
> > x86: i386, i686
>
> Why not stick with just i386?
>
> > x86-64: x86-64, x86-32
>
> x86-32 can be the same as i386

Good to hear. :)

> > ppc: g3, g4
>
> Why not just stick with least-common denominator? g3

I wasn't sure if g3 binaries would run on a g4.

> > Anyone see problems with that list? We may have to drop i386 and do i486
> > as
> i386
> > cannot do glibc+NPTL.
>
> AFAIK i386 is only a problem building NPTL in glibc. Compiling
> everything else i386 would work and we could have a non-NPTL i386 glibc
> and an NPTL i486 glibc cache.
>
> If this is for stable, I can probably get these hosted (x86*) as part of my
> automated testing process, as I will have to have built stable grimoire
> in order to declare stable stable.
>
> If somebody can send me a G3, I can build the G3s and test stable
> grimoire at the same time (or a remote g3 with root access). If I can
> have one in my possession, that would be great (and I promise to keep it
> in the SMGL family.)
>
> Let's not make more work than we need.

Sounds reasonable.

So we're down to:

x86: i386 (with both i386 non-NPTL glibc and i486 NPTL glibc)
x86-64: x86-64
ppc: g3

Three architectures shouldn't be too bad. I'd also like them compiled with
tiny
and strip optimizations if that's possible (to reduce size).

-sandalle