sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Basesystem Cache files on Mirror

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Basesystem Cache files on Mirror
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:01:31 -0400 (EDT)

Many times, either in the process of helping get smgl users up to pure 64bit
systems with x86-64 or trying to sort out compile errors with basesystem, I
have
had to offer my cache files to help fix their machines.

Many times problems with basesystem can cascade into greater problems that
cause
the system to be completely unusable. The fact that we allow users to do
this is
one of the things I love about sourcemage. However, I think we should offer
a way
for users to get at least their basesystem back from cache files without
having to
either find the cd or download and burn the cd. Also, the cd doesn't always
come with the latest versions of spells, in some instances this would force
users to
reinstall the basesystem from the cd just to get something workable (ie glibc
being out of date on the cd vs. the one they might have installed).

I would like to see ppc, x86-64, sparc, i386 and i686 cache files on the
mirror.
I suggest both i386 and i686 because of the number of people that have i686
or
greater machines.

I will offer my x86-64 basesystem spells for the mirror if they are needed,
however my other machines compile for pentium[34] so they won't do.

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com