sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:53:55 -0700

Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
<snip>
> I have a few questions.
>
> How are process changes accepted into the voting process? Do we vote on
> the changes to the voting process?

I looked, but didn't see any documentation on this. ;0 We should probably
writeup a formal method for changing our policies (voting, social contract,
etc.). I'll write up a proposal for that and send it to the list. :)

> For the current team leads, when does the 1 year term start/end? For most
> of the team leads its already been a year since they've been in office,
> so assuming the above is accepted, would we wait one year for re-election
> from that date, or have all the existing lead positions (except security)
> open for nomination shortly thereafter? I suppose its irrelevant since
> at anytime someone can nominate a replacement. The first point is really
> a special case of the first one.

I'd say the 1 year term starts the day the person is announced to have the
position. The day the term is up is when the voting should start (the
nominations should already be in). Should we have the voting and nominations
done /before/ the day is up?

> Also, should there be some sort of rate-limiting for how often
> a request to vote-out someone can occur (like once a month)? The case Im
> addressing is if a group of two people repeatedly nominate themselves
> then second the nomination, thus forcing an election to ensue. They
> could presumably be unhappy with the results and keep renominating
> themselves. Of course, its unlikely that they'd win with that tactic,
> and the whole election process seems to take about a week (several days
> for nominations plus a 72 hour voting period). So maybe the problem
> solves itself...

How about we say a re-election can only be initiated once a year for each Team
Lead position?

> Otherwise sounds good to me :-)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

-sandalle