sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote changes proposal
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:28:58 -0700

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 04:34:32PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few items I'd like to add to our Team Lead voting process[0] are the
> following:
> * Team Leads can be voted out of office in the following way
> # A request is sent for the removal of a current Team Lead along with a
> nomination for a replacement (no Team Lead can be removed without a
> replacement).
> # Both the request and the nomination must be seconded by distinct
> individuals
> (e.g. the person proposing cannot second either the nomination or the vote,
> nor
> can another individual second both the nomination and the vote).
>
> * Team Lead positions have a term of 1 year
> # At the end of 1 year a request for nominations as for a normal Team Lead
> vote will occur.
> # If no nominations are forthcoming and/or the only nominee is the current
> Team Lead and the Team Lead accepts the nomination (or default in the prior
> case) then he/she remains the Team Lead with no vote needed.
>
> Any nays? Comments?
>
> -sandalle
>
> [0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Team+Lead+Voting+Process

I have a few questions.

How are process changes accepted into the voting process? Do we vote on
the changes to the voting process?

For the current team leads, when does the 1 year term start/end? For most
of the team leads its already been a year since they've been in office,
so assuming the above is accepted, would we wait one year for re-election
from that date, or have all the existing lead positions (except security)
open for nomination shortly thereafter? I suppose its irrelevant since
at anytime someone can nominate a replacement. The first point is really
a special case of the first one.

Also, should there be some sort of rate-limiting for how often
a request to vote-out someone can occur (like once a month)? The case Im
addressing is if a group of two people repeatedly nominate themselves
then second the nomination, thus forcing an election to ensue. They
could presumably be unhappy with the results and keep renominating
themselves. Of course, its unlikely that they'd win with that tactic,
and the whole election process seems to take about a week (several days
for nominations plus a 72 hour voting period). So maybe the problem
solves itself...

Otherwise sounds good to me :-)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |