sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] QA team members and product donations requested and non-profit filing possibility.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] QA team members and product donations requested and non-profit filing possibility.
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:44:42 -0700

Hi Source Magers,

The QA team will need some old simple stripped-down hardware for testing
iso installs and rebuilds and things like that. If anybody's got
anything lying around the house and could see giving it up for a good
cause, I'd be happy to accept various hardware gifts. I have amd64 (k8),
x86, and arm, but no sparcs and no ppcs. If anybody has an ibook with a
broken monitor screen, for example, and could see giving it up or an old
decommissioned sparc box or two, it would make our iso release procedure
much more synchronized and regular.

I can pay for shipping myself if that's the only issue on some of the
stuff I really need. Please reply so I can make sure I don't get
deluged with a whole bunch of hardware I can't do anything with (not
that that's going to happen). I really only need one thing of each type
to test install isos and run prometheus on them to make sure our updates
are working across architectures.

Here's a list of things I could use:

ppc mac -- anything really as long as it's newworld
sparc64 or sparch32
itanium (would be interesting to see if we could port to this)
old simple SCSI card and SCSI drive for testing scsi installs
anything else somebody would like better support for in every release,
the odder the hardware the better.

I also could use a variety of boxes of various chips, everything from
486 to pentium4 and earlier. But I don't really need them at my
premises since prometheus can be made to run on your own location. If
people want to sign up to help be a prometheus helper, let me know as
well and I'll make sure you are made aware of everything you need to
know.

If you need a donation to be tax deductible let me know as some of the
team leaders are looking into setting up a US-based 501(c)3 organization
to allow people to donate tax-ductible contributions. This process can
take a while, but approval is retroactive from the filing date. If
anybody knows about the tax systems of other countries, feel free to
help us out there too. We'd need a volunteer treasurer if anybody has
experience with treasury. I do and so do a number of team leaders as
many of us run our own businesses, but it would be best if we had a
treasurer who had their sole responsibility be treasury.

The QA team can also use volunteers. If you don't code but would like
to help, the QA team is the team for you, since it involves just doing
what I say ;). QA team also looks good on a resume.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Not long for this world, Security Team Leader, Source Mage GNU/Linux
Quite maybe in the future, the Quality Assurance Team Leader instead