sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] QA team members and product donations requested and non-profit filing possibility.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] QA team members and product donations requested and non-profit filing possibility.
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:23:18 +0200

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:44:42 -0700
Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT tautology.org> wrote:

> Hi Source Magers,
>
> The QA team will need some old simple stripped-down hardware for testing
> iso installs and rebuilds and things like that. If anybody's got
> anything lying around the house and could see giving it up for a good
> cause, I'd be happy to accept various hardware gifts. I have amd64 (k8),
> x86, and arm, but no sparcs and no ppcs. If anybody has an ibook with a
> broken monitor screen, for example, and could see giving it up or an old
> decommissioned sparc box or two, it would make our iso release procedure
> much more synchronized and regular.
>
> I can pay for shipping myself if that's the only issue on some of the
> stuff I really need. Please reply so I can make sure I don't get
> deluged with a whole bunch of hardware I can't do anything with (not
> that that's going to happen). I really only need one thing of each type
> to test install isos and run prometheus on them to make sure our updates
> are working across architectures.
>
> Here's a list of things I could use:
>
> ppc mac -- anything really as long as it's newworld
> sparc64 or sparch32
> itanium (would be interesting to see if we could port to this)
> old simple SCSI card and SCSI drive for testing scsi installs
> anything else somebody would like better support for in every release,
> the odder the hardware the better.
>
> I also could use a variety of boxes of various chips, everything from
> 486 to pentium4 and earlier. But I don't really need them at my
> premises since prometheus can be made to run on your own location. If
> people want to sign up to help be a prometheus helper, let me know as
> well and I'll make sure you are made aware of everything you need to
> know.

I'm building a few toys from spare parts here.
Looks like i can piece together a working 486 and a k6.
i also got a scsi card, some scsi disks and a scsi cdrom drive to build into
the k6 box.

As you can imagine, i'd like to keep hold of these as i was planning on using
them for testing purposes. But i've got no problem with using them for
prometheus and/ or iso testing as well.

Arjan

> If you need a donation to be tax deductible let me know as some of the
> team leaders are looking into setting up a US-based 501(c)3 organization
> to allow people to donate tax-ductible contributions. This process can
> take a while, but approval is retroactive from the filing date. If
> anybody knows about the tax systems of other countries, feel free to
> help us out there too. We'd need a volunteer treasurer if anybody has
> experience with treasury. I do and so do a number of team leaders as
> many of us run our own businesses, but it would be best if we had a
> treasurer who had their sole responsibility be treasury.
>
> The QA team can also use volunteers. If you don't code but would like
> to help, the QA team is the team for you, since it involves just doing
> what I say ;). QA team also looks good on a resume.
>
> Seth
>
> --
> Seth Alan Woolley [seth at positivism.org], SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
> Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
> Not long for this world, Security Team Leader, Source Mage GNU/Linux
> Quite maybe in the future, the Quality Assurance Team Leader instead

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org
Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
+===