sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:10:03 -0800

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:07:40PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Mar 30, Seth Alan Woolley [seth AT positivism.org] wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:12:25PM +0200, Thomas Houssin wrote:
> > > Security is something I'm interested in. If I can focus more on
> > > everything that's related to security in SM, I'd be happy to do it.
> > > That's why I'm interested in following after Seth, and volunteering for
> > > that...
> >
> > So are you accepting a nomination for Security Team Leader? I don't
> > want to be a "team leader" in two categories, and I think it's good for
> > community members to step up to leadership and keep the team leadership
> > fresh.
> >
> > Did I mention it looks good on a resume?
>
> Speaking of, considering the nature of the position, if we're going to vote
> on people can we ask for some kind of security-related CV from people who
> are being nominated, and maybe some thoughts on security best practices and
> things you would do to affect SMGL's security posture?

I think the main two things are to keep up with security patches and to
make sure the default install is safe. Most of our developers can do
this so long as they put the time into it. What I'm going to be looking
for is somebody who passes some good background checks first, who can
commit to a certain amount of time per week second and then other
aspects third. What affects our security posture is consistency more
than anything else. Once we have consistency we can add features as
we have time available.

The nature of our minimal install leaves a lot of the setup and
configuration to the users. Making sure we're enabling good security
practices by having a secure default install if the spell and/or
original source doesn't provide one is another thing for us to confirm.

Personally, a security CV is less important than the desire to be
willing to do the small stuff, devote some time, and to learn. I'll
still be on the team, but I just don't want to spread myself too thin
and want to make sure that if I'm a "Team Lead" I can devote enough time
to do it well. So I hope that explains what I'm looking for and my
motivation behind looking for a Team Leader to replace me (so I can
concentrate on QA Team -- if I get voted into it).

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00BA3AF3
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org