sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:29:03 -0800

As we approach 1.0 release, I think it's time we started to put more
emphasis on automated utilities to ensure that we properly test our test
grimoire and/or a staging grimoire before stable grimoire is released.
Not that this is a terrible problem as I just installed a new system
from stable and it worked excellently, but I want to make sure
everything's as close to perfect as possible.

So I've been considering taking on the Q/A team as Team Leader myself.
I wanted to first revive prometheus and start running it on the test
grimoire. After that, we can see if we need a "staging" grimoire for
stable. My first plan is to concentrate on basesystem spells only, then
move up to a list of common spells and then test the rest at a lower
background level.

But, if I'm to concentrate on this, I'd like to have somebody else take
over the Security Team Leader role so I can properly become the Quality
Assurance Team Leader and work on that. I have a number of helpful
scripts for security updates that I can pass on to the next person. So
I'm hoping to see if anybody out there is interested in becoming
Security Team Leader. Preference will go to existing team members,
developers, and volunteers, but if you can survive a background check, a
newcomer with interest and experience could be selected. Each Team
Leader position is selected via a vote of developers, so we'd need to do
that as well.

Responsibilities of the Security Team Leader include:

* Handle security updates so that they happen in an efficient manner.
This includes access to the stable grimoire and the download update
routine. Make announcements of the updates so people are aware the
updates are needed. Some gurus can make their own updates, but if
they do, you should do the announcing (and integrating to stable).
Note that I test all the updates (to various degrees) before they go
into the stable grimoire.

* Handle and audit security-related areas in Sorcery. We're pretty
secure about how we do things, but the role primarily involves making
sure things are sane. This can always be improved.

* Making sure the base install is secure and default configurations,
once enabled, are sane.

* Ensuring the grimoire's md5s are sane and managing the gnupg
encryption keyrings. Most gurus are already pretty well trained in
this, so this is pretty minor.

* Any other general security areas.

So if you're interested, please reply to this email to the entire list
with your interest and why you think you'd be a good candidate. If
nobody replies, it looks like I'll have to stay the Security Team Leader
and we won't have an active Q/A team leader. Alternatively, if you want
to start hacking prometheus and working on Q/A, that would work too, but
I've done hundreds of security updates and I'd like to give somebody
else the chance to be the patch monkey ;).

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00BA3AF3
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org