sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] KDE CVS spells - request for comments

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Gareth Clay <gareth AT caffeinefuelled.co.uk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] KDE CVS spells - request for comments
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:28:28 +0000

Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of a general spring-clean / overhaul of the kde section,
and
I want to ask for your opinions on the CVS kde spells we have in there
(kde/CVS directory within the grimoire).

Currently we have our normal kde spells which can be configured when casting
to install either the current stable version (3.3.2) or the current
development version (updating the spells to 3.4 beta 2 is on my todo list for
this weekend). We also have a whole set of duplicate spells for installing
the main kde components from CVS.

I'm not particularly happy with this setup - I don't like the duplication.
The
spells don't seem to have been maintained in quite a while (they're targeting
the 3.2 branch, but stable is on 3.3 and no one has complained on bugzilla).
On top of that, I'm not convinced of the need for these spells. We don't
provide CVS spells for gnome, for example. I would have thought that the
place for CVS spells is for those apps that people really want but for which
there are no tarballs, usually because no official release has been made yet.
We already provide for the development version of kde in the normal kde
spells.

So, my question is - do you want these spells? Does anyone even use them?
Should they be removed? I won't remove anything that people definitely want,
but if it turns out that you *do* want the ability to cast kde from CVS I
might try to integrate the spells a little better so there is only one spell
for each kde component which lets you cast either the stable, devel or CVS
version.

All feedback is appreciated :)

Cheers,
Gareth