sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery, resurrect and you

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery, resurrect and you
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:52:22 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 06:07:28PM +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Andrew a ?crit :

> I've seen that you have updated both document (about resurrect and
> install_root). I'll read them. However, I found pretty strange to
> request feedback when the design has been done, the implementation has
> been done and the sorcery team has already decided that it will be a
> commited feature. What kind of feedback do you want? bug reports only?

I guess I didnt state my intentions clearly, I apologize.

I didnt say the design is done OR that the work is done (on resurrect),
I said that the work had been /prototyped/, and I also stated in the
design that some things may be subject to change, hence this discussion.

I (personally) find it hard to have a reasonable design discussion on
something relatively abstract such as resurrect and to me discussing
before I have any code isnt going to be productive as I dont know how
many people stay up at night thinking about the fine grained details
of resurrect. I would spend half my time trying to explain what the
problem is and not get anywhere, instead I take the "shut-up and code"
approach. People had an idea of what we wanted to do, I did what would
fulfill my requirements and theirs. Now that we have a reasonably working
prototype, and something to go from its easier for people to say "oh
i think it should do foo before bar, or qux instead of blah". This is
called "review".

> As far as the proj3 branch is concerned, is it branched from devel or
> stable? (I'd be happy to use it ASAP in the ISO, but so far, the ISO has
> only used sorcery stable, which is more stable that 'devel' like the
> name imply).

It is branched from devel, all proj branches are, by definition, we dont
do feature development work on the current stable series.

> I'll try to test it ASAP. I'm mainly interested for resurect feature to
> use it in the ISO installer.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |