sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Idea about web-interface sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Idea about web-interface sorcery
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:37:18 +0100

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:20:09 +0500
Anton Kovalyov <simanyay AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we can create local grimoire for this script via this script.

no

> About md5sums... We can add availability checker. I think about it
> later... If you have any solutions, send them to me, please.

allow me to explain myself a bit more.

If we have the website create new spells based on info which is provided by a
visitor of that page we can go several directions with it.

1. allow the user to download their new spell, in which case that user needs a
custom grimoire on their box. preferably 'behind' the other grimoire(s) so if
the spell makes it into the main grimoire that version is used instead of the
(outdated?) custom version. The user would have to create this grimoire
him/herself as it's not on the server ;)

2. don't make the new spell available for download, but instead send it to
bugzilla. From there it would follow the same path as the other new spell
submitted there.

these options only work for *new* spells.To create variants of spells, with
for
example another version, you would run into trouble without the user providing
lot's of input. They would essentially be building a new spell from scratch...
some of the trouble you would run into could be:

a. MD5 sums, the server which hosts the page would have to download the
sources
to generate the md5sums. I really think that's not something we should be
doing...

b. verification, the server would have to verify if the source is available.
again, that would mean extra load on the server we should be avoiding.

IMHO, option 2 makes the most sense, this way everybody wins as the new
spell is queued to be included in the main grimoire.
It also means that we don't put additional load on the server hosting our
website.
IIRC we have to thank Adam (Kinetix) for providing our hosting, let's not
start
abusing his kindness by adding availability checking to a web based quill
interface ;)

Just my 2 cents, feel free to shout at me if I'm missing something :)

Arjan (abouter)

<snip>

> > > what about md5sums and available versions? some projects skip versions,
> > > so we'd have to do some kind of availability checking before generating
> > > the
> > > custom spell...
> > > And after it's created, where would the user put the spell? You'd have
> > > create
> > > a local grimoire first.
> > >
> > > Something that might be a cool addition is to have a web interface to
> > > quill
> > > (spell generating). That way you could fill in a form with the details
> > > and
> > > have
> > > quill write the spell. Automagically submit it to bugzilla would be nice
> > > :)
> > >
> > > Just an idea,
> > >
> > > Arjan (abouter)

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org

GPG key-ID = 79D4B14E
Fingerprint = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E

Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
+===