sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] firewall script, again...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas HOUSSIN <thomas.houssin AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] firewall script, again...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:40:51 +0100

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:29:16 -0800, Andrew
<afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:21:17AM +0100, Thomas HOUSSIN wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is a new version of the firewall spell I sent here a few weeks ago.
> > Includes :
> > - firewall_perso, the script itself, to be copied in
> > /usr/sbin/firewall_perso
> > - firewall_flush, to flush all rules
> > - firewall_perso.conf, the config file. It needs to be copied in /etc,
> > and edited with your settings.
> > - firewall, a script for init.d. It just run the firewall_perso script.
> > - update-ip, a script to update your config file with your new IP and
> > rerun the firewall. If you use pppd to connect, just copying this file
> > to /etc/ppp/ip-up should update your IP and launch the firewall each
> > time you reconnect. It can also be run in init script, if your IP can
> > change.
> >
> > For now, no NAT, but I'll work on that. I tried to include in the
> > config file all that I could need. If it could be integrated into
> > devel, that would allow me to have some bugs reports and new features
> > requests. (if this is possible, I can write the spell)
> >
> > About PROVIDES, it would be useful to have a PROVIDES=firewall
> > (running several iptables-based firewalls isn't a good idea)
> >
> > Last thing : IMHO SM should propose to install a firewall, for example
> > as an optional dependency of basesystem. I think this is getting more
> > and more useful nowadays...
> >

> Have you looked at shorewall? The only thing that really stops a vanilla
> install from using shorewall out of the box is that you need to compile
> a bunch more netfilter modules.
>
> -Andrew

Yes but the goal is not the same : shorewall is a tool for configuring
Netfilter ; it requires a little work before having a working
firewall. The script is almost ready to use, for people who don't
want/need to configure their firewall from the beginning to the the
end.

Thomas

--
"[...] Tantôt sonnera l'heure où le divin Hasard,
Où l'auguste Vertu, ton épouse encor vierge,

de Charles Baudelaire, "L'Horloge"