sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] firewall script, again...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] firewall script, again...
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:57:04 -0800

> I haven't tried it with a default netfilter setup, I was just going off
> of the documentation in regard to iproute2, which is the only thing I
> recalled of optional features.
>
> There are a few spells that need certain kernel modules either compiled
> in or as a module. Perhaps we need a grimoire library to handle this
> case, or maybe have a hook in sorcery that can interface with a grimoire
> library routine to have module dependencies. I wonder what the best way
> would be to do this. Just have a CONFIGURE test and prompt? "Recompile
> linux with X support?" which would be able to add Linux to the
> dependency list with a forced recompile (after editing
> /etc/sorcery/local/kernel.config).
>
> In the past, we usually just drop a note after compile on what to make
> sure you have.

I think its partly dependent on how you configure shorewall, for example
if you arent using nat you wont need the modules for it. Its more a
gripe against shorewall not being informative on whats going on than
its the spells fault. The spell has no way of knowing how you're going
to configure shorewall, and I dont think it should.

Its not really an important point anyway, it was just a semi-helpful hint
as a follow-on to my shameless advert for shorewall for the folks (self
included) who arent network admins but still want a firewall and might
get snagged on shorewall using the out of the box smgl configuration.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |