sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] firewall script, again...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] firewall script, again...
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:39:07 -0800

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:28:07PM -0800, Andrew wrote:

> > > Have you looked at shorewall? The only thing that really stops a vanilla
> > > install from using shorewall out of the box is that you need to compile
> > > a bunch more netfilter modules.
> > >
> > > -Andrew
> >
> > Even those netfilter modules are optional, I thought, for certain
> > features.
> >

> I had what I considered to be a sufficient number of the netfilter
> modules, and it wouldnt get off the ground and left some fairly cryptic
> errors. Is there a way to ask it what modules its going to need? I
> finally got it to work by just compiling all the netfilter modules since
> I didnt want to participate in the guesswork required to figure out what
> it wanted.
>
> -Andrew

I haven't tried it with a default netfilter setup, I was just going off
of the documentation in regard to iproute2, which is the only thing I
recalled of optional features.

There are a few spells that need certain kernel modules either compiled
in or as a module. Perhaps we need a grimoire library to handle this
case, or maybe have a hook in sorcery that can interface with a grimoire
library routine to have module dependencies. I wonder what the best way
would be to do this. Just have a CONFIGURE test and prompt? "Recompile
linux with X support?" which would be able to add Linux to the
dependency list with a forced recompile (after editing
/etc/sorcery/local/kernel.config).

In the past, we usually just drop a note after compile on what to make
sure you have.

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org