sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] i386 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] i386 ISO
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:52:44 +0100

Arwed von Merkatz a écrit :
I agree with that. It's no problem switching a linuxthreads system to
NPTL, but it is almost impossible to switch from NPTL back, as binaries
compiled with NPTL won't work anymore, so the ISO shouldn't use NPTL.

The current glibc spell use a different glibc source code based on whether NPTL support is selected or not.

Without NPTL support : glibc-2.3.2 is selected.
With NPTL support : glibc-20040628 is selected (which claims to be 2.3.3 when installed).

Since glibc use symbol versioning a lot, both versions are incompatible, except that 2.3.3 is backward compatible with 2.3.2. For this reason, upgrading from a system without NPTL to a system with NPTL is possible, whereas the opposite is impossible.

If we used the same snapshot for both, I /think/ it would be possible to change from NPTL support to no support.

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru