sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about passwords in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about passwords in spells
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:20:52 -0800

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:37:50AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Thomas HOUSSIN wrote:
> >I had the pb, and fixed it this way : (this is an almost exact
> >copy/paste from the bug report)
> >
> >PAM seems indeed reponsible for this. When useradd or groupadd is
> >used, PAM checks for permissions for the user. If there's no pam file
> >for useradd or/and for groupadd, default is to ask for password
> >(although it could be to deny access on some boxes, depending on the
> >settings.)
> >
> >The solution is to add useradd (which is created by shadow), and
> >groupadd (which is not created), whith something like :
> >
> >auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
> >auth required pam_unix_auth.so
> >account required pam_unix.so
> >session required pam_unix.so
> >password required pam_permit.so
> >
> >the pam_rootok line will allow authentication without asking for
> >password if user is root. May be groupadd should be added to shadow to
> >solve this issue.
>
> Thanks for that. :) I hope it fixes the bug (could those with the
> problem report back if the above fixes it?).
>
> I'm wondering what changed to bring this behaviour on as I've used
> Linux-PAM for years and didn't have this problem until libaccount was
> moved out of Sorcery and into the grimoire.

Thanks for solution Thomas.

I think it was just a coincidence that these two events happened near
each other.

p4 changes devel/libaccount
Change 48214 on 2004/12/03 by flavien_bridault@flavien-Gargamel 'Added
create_group() function +'
Change 42889 on 2004/09/13 by arwed_von_merkatz@arwed-Otherland 'account
handling in the grimoir'

p4 changes devel/shadow/DETAILS
Change 46822 on 2004/11/12 by arjan_bouter@abouter-laptop 'cleaned up the
selinux mess '
Change 46021 on 2004/10/31 by treeve_jelbert@treeve-knowhow 'shadow-4.0.5 '

I vaguely recall hearing about these problems around the early november
time-frame which would correspond to the 4.0.5 version bumpage.

I would imagine that groupadd became more pam-aware in the 4.0.5 shadow
release.

As far as libaccount changing, the last checkin's inside sorcery were
pretty minimal and happened in august, theres been a groupadd call in
sorcery for a long time.

I think it would be best to provide this new groupadd pam file with
shadow and finally call this bug closed.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |