sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about passwords in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about passwords in spells
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:37:50 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Thomas HOUSSIN wrote:
I had the pb, and fixed it this way : (this is an almost exact
copy/paste from the bug report)

PAM seems indeed reponsible for this. When useradd or groupadd is
used, PAM checks for permissions for the user. If there's no pam file
for useradd or/and for groupadd, default is to ask for password
(although it could be to deny access on some boxes, depending on the
settings.)

The solution is to add useradd (which is created by shadow), and
groupadd (which is not created), whith something like :

auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
auth required pam_unix_auth.so
account required pam_unix.so
session required pam_unix.so
password required pam_permit.so

the pam_rootok line will allow authentication without asking for
password if user is root. May be groupadd should be added to shadow to
solve this issue.

Thanks for that. :) I hope it fixes the bug (could those with the
problem report back if the above fixes it?).

I'm wondering what changed to bring this behaviour on as I've used
Linux-PAM for years and didn't have this problem until libaccount was
moved out of Sorcery and into the grimoire.

-sandalle