sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] please be more careful with spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] please be more careful with spells
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:01:43 +0100

Eric Sandall a écrit :
Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:

I think what we really need is a QA team to organize and help facilitate
this.

So we'd have our gurus put their changes into devel, and then the QA Team
would
verify that those changes don't break and pull into test and stable as needed?
I like this idea, but do we have enough people to do it?

-sandalle

We already have prometheuse spell that can automatically check spells. It's broken right now, but its author says it could be fixed.

Furthermore, as I build the ISO, I was trying to write a tool that could check that what's used by the ISO (ie a running sourcemage system) was working properly. I used several tests:

- running sorcery rebuild twice. This ensure that installed spell in the system can be recompiled again and again. This however generates few aliens (no real solution was found to this problem except by listing each of those alien in the ISO build/install scripts).

- running cast on each and every spell. This is what prometheuse does too. First, it would be cool if cast returns the status of the installation. It returns 0 even when cast failed. Moreover, a lot of spells are not correctly using BUILD_API=2 or BUILD_API=1 and blocks forever. Some other spells blocks forever for no reason (it might be because the cast scripts is copied to /tmp/sorcery and later removed before the script end)

- running cast -c on every spell was rather long since it also recompiles all dependencies that are not installed.

Anyway, I think we should have the following tool:

- check-spell-syntax : a script that check the syntax of spell's file. It could check that BUILD_API=1 spells are calling "prepare_install" and that BUILD_API=2 spells are not calling it. It could check the syntax of the DETAILS file.

- check-spell-compile: a script that check that a spell is compiling with all the combination of dependency and options. It could also check for aliens.

- check-grimoire : a script that check all spells in a grimoire and that might do a "sorcery rebuild" test.

Having such tools (which need to be defined more accurately) would help in having a working system and would help in finding bugs as soon as possible. Right now, people are complaining about bugs in the ISO, but the ISO is just a snapshot of the stable grimoire, which comes from test and from devel...

Benoit PAPILLAULT

Note: casting 1/10 of all spells takes one day on my machine. So all spells would need 10 days, which is not so long.