sm-discuss - Re: Fwd: Re: [SM-Discuss] gaze version and codex listing differences

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Tanel Tammet <tammet AT staff.ttu.ee>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [SM-Discuss] gaze version and codex listing differences
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:45:04 -0700

Quoting Tanel Tammet <tammet AT staff.ttu.ee>:
<snip>

I'm CC'ing the list so others can benefit as well. :)

> Thanks a lot for the information.

Anytime. :)

> BTW, it is was really helpful to learn about
> gaze DETAILS from your email: started understanding
> what is happening.
>
> NB! Observe that gaze DETAILS is not mentioned in the
> gaze man pages or gaze help. Would probably be a good thing
> to know about.

It is in the gaze manpage (at least in test Sorcery):
$ man gaze
gaze SCRIPT NAME <spell>

It's a little ambiguous, but "SCRIPT NAME" refers to DETAILS, TRIGGERS,
DEPENDS,
BUILD, etc. as those are all scripts used to build a package.

> Actually, what I did with glibc-kernel-headers
> is the following:
>
> 1) Used kernel 2.4 until this summer. Never ever did I cast
> glibc-kernel-headers.
> Used glibc 2.3.2.
>
> 2) Upgraded to 2.6 during summer. Again, did not cast glibc-kernel-headers.
> Did not upgrade glibc (still 2.3.2)
>
> 3) Recently cast glibc-kernel-headers the first time (only because
> cleanse complained about this spell being missing).
> At that point I was running kernel 2.6.7, while stable
> grimoire contained 2.6.8.1.
>
> Got, to my surprise, kernel-headers for 2.4.24 and gaze says
> stable kernels glibc-kernel-headers 2.4.24 2.4.24
>
> After this I was puzzled about the version issue, so I decided to ask
> for some
> enlightening :-)
>
> 4) After your suggestion I did recast (-c -r) glibc-kernel-headers now, got
> version 2.6.8.1. I am still running kernel 2.6.7.
> gaze started telling me
> stable kernels glibc-kernel-headers 2.6.8.1 2.6.8.1
>
> Hopefully it is OK to have 2.6.8.1 kernel-headers for a while.

You may also want to do `cast -r -c glibc` so you can get the 2.6 NPTL-enabled
glibc (new, faster threading support in Linux). However, this is not necessary
and if you have no reason to use the new threading libraries heed the words,
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". :)

> Regards,
> Tanel Tammet

-sandalle

  • Re: Fwd: Re: [SM-Discuss] gaze version and codex listing differences, Eric Sandall, 10/15/2004