sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] head -1 weirdo

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: neuron <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] head -1 weirdo
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:56:10 +0200

Hello,

today while I was testing qmail spell I found that head neets to have
defined _POSIX2_VERSION environment and that must be less than 200112
(from the source head.h, coreutils), in order to 'head -1' work. In our
spells it's not problem since we are using 'head -n 1', but for example
in qmail makefile there's the old notation.

So, if you ever get "head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'" waring
and you can not or want not to modify to '-n 1', just put "export
_POSIX2_VERSION=0" before and everything should be ok.

From the source, expand split date fold head touch join nice tail sort
uniq unexpand od pr commands are all checing this variable for value
200112.

--
Neuron