sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Mirrors removed from SORCERY (only smgl central site)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.kun.nl>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Mirrors removed from SORCERY (only smgl central site)
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:47:50 +0200

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:10:45AM -0700, Andrew wrote:
[ ... ]
> Since a number of people depend on stable sorcery to actually be
> stable I dont exactly want mirrors I have no control over downloading
> files (through ftp) and mirroring them.
[ ... ]
> Lets analyze a few case scenarios of how someone would hack a large
> majority of the sourcemage under this scheme of having several sorcery
> mirrors.
[ ... ]
> If we're lucky people will notice and we'll quickly get a fixed
> stable sorcery out without evil fred or joe's broken sorcery
> availible. Then we'll scream from the rooftops about how everyone
> must update their sorcery from somewhere other than the infected
> mirror (hardly a foolproof process).
>
> If we're unlucky a better part of our userbase will have hacked
> machines and not even know it. This will continue for months on
> end before anyone notices.
[...]
> Im certainly not risking all of our work on the trust of some servers
> I have no control over mirroring the bits I think they're mirroring,
> let-alone getting those bits via insecure protocols.

<cynical>
Perhaps we should reply on CD-Roms for distributing sorcery?
</cynical>

On a serious note, ibilbio-servers work... usually. Things like PGP-signing,
secure connections for pulling sorcery code, MD5-sums can help to secure it
all.

Cheers

Bas

--
<Bas.vanGils AT cs.ru.nl> - GPG Key ID: 2768A493 - http://www.cs.ru.nl/~basvg
Radboud University Nijmegen Institute for Computing and Information Sciences