sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Standard Base v2.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Standard Base v2.0
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:49:45 -0700

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:56:38PM +0200, Unet wrote:

> > The last LSB i looked at had a single, and rather poorly written clause
> > about package management. It seemed to allude to the fact that you had
> > to use rpm although it was written ambiguously enough that you /could/
> > interprit it to mean that package managers with equivalent functionality
> > (sorcery) were acceptable as well. I haven't read the new one so I dont
> > know if they've addressed that or not.
>
> IIRC LSB only specifies that you should provide a way to install rpms.

I just checked out lsb 2.0 and their statement about package management [1]
is:

Applications shall either be packaged in the RPM packaging format as
defined in this specification, or supply an installer which is LSB
conforming (for example, calls LSB commands and utilities).

Since I think we dont use anything too exotic in sorcery we're okay,
except for maybe dialog :-/ Dialog isn't on their list of standard lsb
commands/utilities [2].

However I dont think our init system really fits too well with their
notion of init system [3].

[1]
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.0.0/LSB-Core/LSB-Core/swinstall.html
[2]
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.0.0/LSB-generic/LSB-generic/command.html
[3]
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.0.0/LSB-generic/LSB-generic/sysinit.html
(and subsequent links)

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |