sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Gettext . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Gettext . . .
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:46:59 +0000

As an excercise for my own personal amusement and system requirement, I have
been working on trying to make gettext an optional dependency in the
grimoires, but I have reached a stopping point for me. I was able to modify
several spells and get the packages to compile and work (AFAICT) correctly
w/o gettext. My stopping points are at glib2 and orbit and pretty much
anything depending them.

I do currently have a fairly functional system w/xorg and several window
managers (including AfterStep and WindowMaker) installed and running. It
seems, however, that any GTK+ or GTK+2 based app (anything GNOME or
Enlightenment, for example) will need to have gettext installed. For anyone
who has a CLI only system or a minimal windowing system and who is not
interested in having gettext on their system, it is possible. Also, our
basesystem does not /need/ gettext.

I haven't ventured into the Qt/KDE area to see how possible it would be to
have a gettext free system

My question at this point is, is this anything anyone is interested in? I
know we frequenlty quote the "Coice is good" creedo, but if no one is really
interested in this particular choice, then I won't bother with submitting
updated spells, nor continuing to see if there is anything else that may
optionally depend on gettext.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)