sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO suggestion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO suggestion
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:56:07 +0200

Eric Sandall wrote:
Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:

I agree, keep the iso small. We do have net based installs in the
development queue which would involve downloading the cache tarballs
from the web, and having only a small iso or floppy image to boot from,
at which point adding xorg and a wm as an optional package would be
cheaper as it wouldn't unnecessarily bloat the iso.

Perhaps as a compromise we can add a note to the install wiki
"if you really need to get work done, you might want to install X + a wm
before embarking on the update/rebuild."

That would probably be the better implementation for us, though it wouldn't
answer his needs as he (and others possibly) would want to start working Right
Away(TM) and the X compile can take a bit of time. ;)

I agree that this is true, but even something on the install page on the wiki mentioning that if you want to get working fairly soon, install xorg and a window manager, get them up and running and then do the updating stuff.

xorg installed in not that long a time (ie. less than an hour) and a window manager is quick as well, so just the suggestion would be a nice warning, it was just the whole day and then install the next day that was the problem. If I had been using my brain (rarer and rarer) I would have thought of this.

Rohan