sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO suggestion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO suggestion
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:37:17 +0200

On 04/08/04 20.02, Jason Flatt wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2004 8:17 am, Eric Sandall wrote:
> >
> > What do people think of adding xorg (and only xorg, not xfree86) and, say,
> > blackbox (it's small and fast) as an optional install?
> >
> > -sandalle
>
> I think a better option would be a second ISO with the addition of xorg and
> company in it.
>
> Then people would have a choice: with xorg or without xorg, caffeinated or
> decaffeinated, leaded or unleaded, tastes great or less filling. (I'll
> stop
> now.)

If (when) the installer gets support for network install, it could
offer as many optional packages as anyone cares to build and put
online. If the installer simply checks /var/cache/sorcery or whereever
the cache tarballs are supposed to be on the iso, then anything could
be added to the iso via multisession burning.
For those who with slow connections, the installer could also check
for source files and copy them. Then you could use your smgl box on a
fast link to download everything and burn a bootable dvd, which could
be used to install boxes with a slow link.

Just an idea.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein