sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Install, Update, Upgrade, freezes on boot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Robert Helgesson" <rycee AT home.se>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Install, Update, Upgrade, freezes on boot
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:18:44 +0200

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:15:31 +0200, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
> I did all that and it took a whole day, and the next day when I booted
> to smgl it was happy, ran through loading the kernel, through runlevelS
> and when it went to runlevel2 it had success getting networking going
> and then froze (not in the crash sort of way, the keyboard responded but
> it seemed as though it was waiting for something); Ctrl-c would not make
> it skip to the next task, and the only thing that had any effect was
> hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice at which point it went into the shutdown
> sequence.

I suspect it's a problem with the remote filesystem scripts, when
installing init.d did you allow installation of smgl-default-remote-fs?
Did you also allow it to be the default provider of the remote_fs
facility? You can check this in /etc/sysconfig/facilities.

If this isn't the problem you can get a more verbose boot process by
adding "set -x" just above the case statement at the end of
/etc/init.d/rc, this should allow you to see where the bootup halts.

> While I was wondering around the scripts I see that sourcemage has gone
> for a simpler init solution than the sysV one, more leaning towards the
> bsd one which I MUCH prefer. I am about to visit the wiki and see if I
> can figure out what is called when in the way of services and how. So
> just wanted to say nice choice for the init, as it actually looks
> comprehensible to the likes of l'il ol' me.:-)

I'm glad you like the system. There is some information[1] about the
init system in the wiki, most of it is in the design documentation.

[1] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Init+System

--
/ Robert Helgesson |-- rycee AT home.se --\
\-- GPG Key ID: 41E95A5B --| http://sourcemage.org/ /