sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Install, Update, Upgrade, freezes on boot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Install, Update, Upgrade, freezes on boot
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:15:31 +0200

Hi guys,

Me again with more questions.

I have installed sourcemage on a new dell laptop at work. Everything
was working fine with booting etc. Until I followed the instructions
about upgrading the system,

from the wiki:
Note: Now is the PERFECT time to do a rebuild of your system. But first
you'll want to update sorcery and your grimoires with "sorcery update &&
scribe update" then choose your features and compilation options in
Sorcery with "sorcery".
CAVEAT Before doing the rebuild, you will want to update the following
spells (in order):
binutils gcc gettext glibc
using this command "cast -c binutils gcc gettext glibc"
this will get you past the nastiness of recompiling everything (again)
when gettext/glibc are updated to use your architecture specs.
* gettext no longer triggers a rebuild of glibc [since 0.7], so
you now need to list it.
Follow the cast -c command by 'sorcery rebuild' to do the full rebuild.

I did all that and it took a whole day, and the next day when I booted
to smgl it was happy, ran through loading the kernel, through runlevelS
and when it went to runlevel2 it had success getting networking going
and then froze (not in the crash sort of way, the keyboard responded but
it seemed as though it was waiting for something); Ctrl-c would not make
it skip to the next task, and the only thing that had any effect was
hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice at which point it went into the shutdown
sequence.

I have been looking around in the rc and init scripts that I could find,
and am going to start looking more closely at it, but I also have to get
work done, so I hoping someone has a quick answer for me.

While I was wondering around the scripts I see that sourcemage has gone
for a simpler init solution than the sysV one, more leaning towards the
bsd one which I MUCH prefer. I am about to visit the wiki and see if I
can figure out what is called when in the way of services and how. So
just wanted to say nice choice for the init, as it actually looks
comprehensible to the likes of l'il ol' me.:-)

Thanks,

Rohan