sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] history files

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] history files
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:48:50 +1000

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:22, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> > yes you missed all the HISTORY entries.
> > I am not asking you to try to actually change history, you can write a
> > wiki page all about me if you want and anyone with access to perforce can
> > see exactly what I did, the simple point is I do not support smgl any
> > longer and
> >
> > continuing to distribute the name and email adress of someone like me,
> > who left your community due to conscience, moral and ethics reasons is
> > wrong. I am not asking for much. I am not saying all of your work is not
> > good. I am
> >
> > not saying your distro is crap. This is not about the quality of smgl
> > itself
> >
> > or a refutation of anything you have achieved since I left, just an
> > objection
> >
> > to the values and ethos of the smgl community. Whether I am right to
> > object to what happened so strongly is not in question, I objected so I
> > left the community, six months later I still object and I find it
> > dishonest for you to
> >
> > be distributing my name and email, unqualified, as a part of your
> > community when I have in fact left it.
> > Hamish
>
> As I said, we are not removing anything from HISTORY[0]. If you are not
> okay with that, fine, leave (oh wait, you already did...), but I am tired
> of hearing you rant about having something done which we are not about to
> do (changing history)[1].
>
> -sandalle
>
> [0] Well, typos can be fixed, but that's not removal.
> [1] Yes, yes, we can "put up a page" to explain it all, but then we might
> as well keep it in the history files. And Perforce may not always be
> around, or the database lost, etc., so that is not a catch all either.

I really don't have a conscience about this, I am quite happy to keep
regularly posting.
To keep bringing up the same problems and making the same request over and
over again will probably damage the smgl morale, turn away new users and new
developers though. My one compromise would be to allow all my name and email
entries to be changed to foo@sourcemage and then to have a wiki or web page
explain that I am foo and why I left.
Anything less than that wouldn't be acceptable and would cause me to continue
sending the same request.

Hamish