sm-discuss - RE: [SM-Discuss] history files

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [SM-Discuss] history files
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:32:47 -0500

> I have an agenda that has not been fulfilled.
> I want smgl to stop distributing my name and email with a
> product I stopped
> supporting due to problems with the leadership, teams and individuals.
> I still want that, six months after leaving, because I
> believe a single cup of
> sewerage in a barrel of drinking water makes that a whole
> barrel of sewerage.

I want to win the lottery too, but I don't bitch about it all the time.

Perhaps it would be wise to give this guy what he wants just so he'll shut
up. He's obviously got a grudge that he cannot forgive and eventually it
will consume him, perhaps already has.

I'm greatful for the work he's contributed to this project and it was
wonderful work. I can understand that he sees some things as being wrong,
but come on. It's been six months. Perhaps that cup of sewage in this barrel
of water has been filtered. But he wouldn't know because he doesn't use SMGL
anymore. This is the last reply I'm going to say about it anymore. This is
ridiculous. If he's truly detached himself from this project then he
wouldn't care about anything about it. The historical change files shouldn't
be changed. They are history. History is written, it cannot be revised. I
don't understand how having his name in the historical files is bad when
anyone can get access to the perforce repository and that's OK.

I would consider changing my vote for the censorship, because it's turning
into a flame-fest.

> I no longer care about how smgl deals with it's garbage, I
> just want my name
> removed.
> Perforce has the true history for all of the submissions I
> made so there is no
> legal reason not to remove my name. Regarding the concerns that it is
> changing the past, nothing can change the past. I donated
> most of my spare
> time for the best part of a year, and stopping distribution
> of my name won't
> change that, you will still all be benefiting from my work
> everyday, just
> without my name and email embedded in it. A wiki page stating
> the length of
> my association, my areas of contribution and the reasons I
> left would satisfy
> both yours and my requirements.
> I don't mind resubscribing to the mail list if this doesn't
> go through, I
> don't mind setting up a new email account every week for the
> express purpose
> of resubscribing, and I will continue pushing my agenda until
> my name and
> email is removed from grimoire, ISO, and sorcery files.

What makes you believe that you're in the right for having these things
removed?
How can you decide that this is correct when everyone else has determined
that historical data shouldn't be changed?
What makes you think that we should all bend to your adgenda?

The needs/wants of the many outweigh the needs/wants of the few, or the one.