sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What's going on with cast?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What's going on with cast?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:02:09 -0700

This is also just a heads up to devel users...as well as my best attempt
at sanding down those loose edges right now.

If you wait a few hours for the tarball to rebuild and are feeling brave,
devel sorcery has a number of re-workings of the depends algorithms I've
been working on recently. Cast should do a better job at cleaning up
old/stale depends and not letting incorrect ones get into the state files.

Also the dependency dropping/cast crapping out might be solved by a
default rule I'm adding. I dont know what that will do to full depends
ordering, the rule is at the end so it should only match if nothing else
does, but I can't tell for sure yet.

The new depends code will leave the existing rules in the file until a spell
successfully installs, then blow away all old answers (including linty
bad ones), and commit the new ones concerned with the current spell.

Theres also a -R option to recursively wander down the depends tree
and recast spells that are already installed down to the leaves of the
tree. So failing the default rule for whatever reason, or to know for sure
that depends are correct in a subtree, (instead of doing a total rebuild)
the -R option will save the day.

Coincidentally theres a -B option to go the other direction (up the
depends tree, recursively). Running -B and -R together is quite fun
to watch.

Circular depends warnings wont go away though, but those are just warnings
and make shouldn't die from those alone...

-Andrew