sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new section apps-emacs?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new section apps-emacs?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:46:34 +1200

Jason Flatt wrote:
On Sunday 20 June 2004 1:02 pm, Duane Malcolm wrote:

I'm neither for or against splitting but I have two ideas to think about:

1. If we are going to split how about using the same grouping as Gentoo.
This has two advantages: we gain their experience in what is a good way
to split software and anyone coming from gentoo to sourcemage will feel
some familiarity.

Why not Debian or FreeBSD? Both of them have been around longer then Gentoo. While Source Mage and Gentoo are both source based, I believe the underlying philosophies of Source Mage match closer to Debian than to Gentoo.
Yep, even better. We are more likely to get a non-sourcebased user convert to sourcemage. Debian has a big user base too. It's less likely we'd get a Gentoo user. I only knew about Gentoos database.

2. Posibility of putting category tag into the DETAILS file, such as
"audio video games library". Then spells can be listed according to
multiple categories. There will be a fixed list of categories. This
would allow the dierectories to be split according to maintainer. But
I'm not sure it's a good idea since directores would change a lot.

Just something to think about.

Yes, indeedy. :^)

Duane.