sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] section build files

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] section build files
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:44:46 -0700

> I am working on several spells which will probably go into a separate
> section.
> Rather than put identical BUILD files in each spell, I would like to share
> common file at the section level.
> I could do this by putting symlinks in each spell, but would perforce
> accept
> it? Or we could add a feature to sorcery, so that if a script {BUILD,
> INSTALL, PRE_BUILD, FINAL} were not present in the spell directory, sorcery
> would look for it in the section directory before applying the
> default_build,
> etc.
>

> This would also be useful for things such as PERL and PYTHON, where most
> spells have identical scripts
>
> For example, we have a directive in BUILD_API or DETAILS which says
> SCRIPTS={spell,section,default}
>
> Any thoughts?

providing a defined place for spell writers to hook in their own versions
of common functions to override the sorcery defaults was something I
had mentioned earlier. The architecture of cast makes it fairly easy
to override any sort of build pipeline function right now. There is
currently a GRIMOIRE_API file that is valid in the section and grimoire
level to provide a default value to BUILD_API (although you can put
all sorts of other DETAILS related variables in there too if you wanted
(wink wink nudge nudge).

I dont have a problem with adding another file to that list which can
redefine default_build (and others). Its fairly easy for me to just add
the extra few lines to load_build_api to source these new files if
they exist.

This of course wont be used for overriding depends related stuff as that
is all run at a different phase of the game.

Of course Im pretty sure you can make symlinks in p4, or you can look
at the php-pear section which does something like this.

Its up to the grimoire lead what way we go about it, but Im more than
happy to add this into sorcery.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |