sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] section build files

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] section build files
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:40:11 -0400

I believe the name would be misleading, it shouldn't be negative. Maybe SECTION_FUNCTIONS=[on|off]. I believe that a default should be "on" to always check for <spell>/../FUNCTIONS and source it, unless SECTION_FUNCTIONS=off. I believe this is cheap and consistent with usage of other files, such as PRE_INSTALL or POST_REMOVE (you don't tell sorcery anything to use these). Other variants: SECTION_INHERIT, or even SECTION_LIB.

Andrew wrote:

So if USE_DEFAULT_FUNCTIONS is on then sorcery won't look in FUNCTIONS.
Should the default value of USE_DEFAULT_FUNCTIONS be off (look in
FUNCTIONS).

I'd say default should be off. The whole setting is mostly useful for
sections like perl-cpan and php-pear, so having it default to reading
FUNCTIONS when it exists should be sane.

Too much inverting here...
USE_DEFAULT_FUNCTIONS=off would mean "source FUNCTIONS" (dont use all
the default functions)

USE_DEFAULT_FUNCTIONS=on would mean "DONT source FUNCTIONS" (use the
functions sorcery gives us)

So what you're saying is the default value should be "on" (dont source
FUNCTIONS).